Cooked lentils are popular all over the Middle East and form the basis of many dishes. Mujaddara is a popular Levantine dish, and may be served on its own or with other vegetables and side dishes: it is equally good hot and cold. At one time it was regarded as a poor man's dish, but today it is considered a high protein, balanced healthy food by many Americans.
Let's try this mujaddara recipe, it's cheap, health, and tastes great.
- 1 cup of lentils
- 1/2 cup of rice
- 3/4 cup of oil
- 3 big red onions (Chopped into wings)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Filter the lentils and clean very well.
- Put the lentils in a cooking pan and pour on water until covered.
- Cook them on a high fire until well done.
- From time to time uncover while cooking and take out the ones floating on the top.
- Clean the rice and pour over the cooked lentils.
- Cook over medium fire until the rice is well done.
- Add the Salt and Pepper
- Mix very well in one direction to avoid having them muddled.
- Fry the onions until they get a light brown color.
- Pour the Majaddara in the serving pan and cover with fried onions over the top.