Yield About 30 pieces | Time 2 hours 30 minutes
For the nut filling
2 cups (8 ounces) skinned hazelnuts
1 cup (4 ounces) slivered almonds
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
⅛ teaspoon salt
For the pastry
1 one-pound package frozen phyllo dough, defrosted
1 ½ cups warm clarified butter
For the honey syrup
1 ¼ cups sugar
⅓ cup honey
2 strips lemon zest, each 1/2-inch wide by 2 inches long
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon rosewater
1 teaspoon orange blossom water
1 whole cinnamon stick
3 whole cloves
⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse together skinned hazelnuts, almonds, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt until finely ground.
- On a large surface, unfold phyllo dough, removing plastic wrapping. With a sharp knife, slice dough in half crosswise, forming two 9-by-12-inch rectangles. Cover entirely with one or two damp dishcloths.
- With a pastry brush, generously brush bottom of a 9-by-12-inch baking pan with clarified butter. Carefully place one phyllo sheet in pan (it should just fit) and brush with butter. Repeat with 7 more phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter. Keep unused phyllo covered as you work. Sprinkle about 1/3 of nut and sugar mixture evenly over top layer. Repeat layering process with phyllo, continuing to brush each sheet with butter, until you have stacked on 6 more sheets. Sprinkle another 1/3 of nut and sugar mixture evenly over top layer. Repeat layering process with phyllo and melted butter, using another 8 phyllo sheets. Sprinkle final 1/3 of nut and sugar mixture over phyllo. Cover with two more sheets of phyllo, leaving top layer unbuttered.
- Placing your palms in center of top layer, gently move your hands in an outward, sweeping motion, flattening and smoothing top of pastry. Brush an additional 1/4 cup melted butter evenly over top layer.
- Using a sharp pointed knife, carefully slice baklava into 2-inch-thick diagonal strips. Repeat in opposite direction, forming a diamond pattern. Bake baklava until golden and flaky, 50 to 60 minutes, rotating pan as necessary to ensure even baking.
- Meanwhile, in a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine honey syrup ingredients with 3/4 cup water. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook until sugar has completely dissolved, about 5 minutes. Transfer syrup to a bowl and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cool. Once cooled, strain mixture into a liquid measuring cup with a spout.
- While baklava is still very hot, pour cooled syrup into cracks between diamond-shaped pieces, reserving about 3 tablespoons syrup. Drizzle reserved syrup evenly over top of baklava. Let cool on a wire rack for 2 hours, then cover with foil and let sit at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving (30 servings)
254 calories; 17 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 0 grams trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 23 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram dietary fiber; 12 grams sugars; 3 grams protein; 26 milligrams cholesterol; 93 milligrams sodium
Note: The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.