Lebanese Potato and Beef Stew is a common traditional dish that is served with a side of rice.
Author: Mama's Lebanese Kitchen
Recipe type: Middle Eastern Stew
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 2 hours 30 mins
Total time: 2 hours 50 mins
1.5 lbs of Beef Stew Meat, cubed
3lbs Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 head of fresh garlic, crushed or minced
1 medium onion, minced
2.5 table spoons of ghee or butter
2-3 teaspoons of tomato paste
1 cup of coriander leaves finely chopped (preferably green)
1.5 teaspoon of salt
a dash of Lebanese 7-Spices (or allspice)
A side of rice
- In a deep cooking pot, saute/fry the meat in the ghee/butter on medium heat with a bit of salt for about 8-10 minutes or until medium-well cooked.
- Add the garlic, onions, coriander leaves, 7-spices and the remaining salt to the beef and saute well together for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add about 6-7 cups of warm water (watch out for the steam), bring to a boil, cover and let simmer/cook on low heat for 2 to 2.5 hours.
- Meanwhile, bake the cubed potatoes in the oven for about 30 minutes at 370 degrees, then add them to the simmering meat half-way through its cooking time.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the tomato paste, stir well, then let simmer for the remaining time.
- Serve hot with a side of rice.