Easy recipe for labneh. Learn how to make the best labneh dip by rolling yogurt into golf-sized balls. Yogurt cheese balls are usually served as part of a Middle Eastern mezze platter.
Ingredients - Makes 15-20
- 1.5kg thick Greek yoghurt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups (500ml) extra virgin olive oil, preferably Greek
- Place yoghurt in a bowl with 2 teaspoons sea salt and stir to combine. Lay muslin on a workbench, place yogurt in center, then gather up muslin sides and tie with string. Suspend the ball over a bowl - we found the best way to do this was to tie the ball to a wooden spoon, then rest the spoon on the top of a bowl, allowing the ball to hang down. Leave to drain in the fridge for 3 days. Discard the whey that has drained out, remove yogurt to a bowl and discard muslin.
- Roll yogurt into golf-sized balls, lay on a baking tray and refrigerate for 3 hours to dry out. Place in a sterilised preserving jar with herbs and garlic, cover with oil and seal. Leave to marinate for 24 hours. Keep for up to 1 week.
These delicious little yogurt cheese balls are usually served as part of a Middle Eastern mezze platter with dips, marinated vegetables and warm pita bread. You will need a double thickness of butter muslin*.
* Butter muslin is available from kitchenware and haberdashery stores.
delicious. - November 2003, Page 142
Recipe by Valli Little
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.