Learn how to make the best Middle Eastern Sfiha (meat pies with dough). Easy and delicious recipe to make sfiha appetizer/side dish.
Sfiha is a pizza-like dish eaten in the Levant. The dish originates in Syria. They are also very popular in Brazil and Argentina due to the presence of a large Levantine community.
Dough (see Pastry Dough Recipe)
1/2 kg (16 oz) ground lamb meat
1 kg (32 oz) firm tomatoes, finely chopped
5 medium onions, finely chopped
1 tspn salt
A dash of ground cayenne red pepper, ground cinnamon, and ground allspice
2 tbls butter, diced
2 tbls yogurt
1 tbls sesame paste (Tahini)
1 tbls pomegranate thickened juice (if available)
4 tbls fried pine nuts
- Mix well meat, tomatoes, onion and spices. Add yoghurt, sesame paste and pomegranate. Mix all with fried pine nuts. Add butter.
- Divide dough into walnut size balls. Roll between hand palms to smooth.
- Roll out balls with a rolling pin to form 8 cm diameter circles. Put one tbls of meat mixture on dough circle seeing that a cube is in each spoon.
- Bring the edges up and press to make a square.
- Arrange meat pastries in a tray brushed with butter. Bake in a moderate heat oven (180° C) for 30 minutes or till dough is golden and meat is cooked.
- Serve hot with yogurt.
Save and share Sfiha Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.