Tuesday, November 16, 2010
The Arabic Food Recipes kitchen (The Home of Delicious Arabic Food Recipes) invites you to try Middle Eastern Salad Plate Recipe. Enjoy cooking tasty Middle Eastern food and learn how to make Middle Eastern Salad Plate.
The flavors of sunny Greece make this a lovely salad to serve as a first course at summer dinner parties, or as a light lunch. A garden-fresh mix of ripe tomatoes and cucumbers is enlivened with parsley and a simple vinaigrette. Alongside is a creamy traditional hummus dip, made with chickpeas, tahini, garlic and lemon. Toasted pita bread finishes the dish. Spread the pita bread with some hummus, and pile on the salad, for a deliciously fresh sandwich, if you like.
2 medium cucumbers
2 medium tomatoes
1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarse black pepper
1 15- or 16-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/2 cup tahini (see note below)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 large pita bread rounds
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1. For salad, peel cucumbers, if desired. Chop cucumbers and tomatoes; toss together with parsley, vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Cover and chill.
2. Wrap pita rounds in foil and heat in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until warm.
3. Meanwhile, to make hummus, drain chickpeas, reserving liquid. In food processor bowl combine chickpeas, tahini, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of remaining olive oil, lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and process until smooth, adding enough chickpea liquid until hummus is same consistency as thick oatmeal.
4. Cut warm pita rounds into wedges. Spoon hummus onto plates, drizzle with remaining olive oil, and sprinkle with red pepper. Serve with cucumber and tomato salad. Makes 6 side-dish servings.
5. Note: Tahini, a puree of sesame seeds, can be found in large supermarkets, Middle Eastern markets, or other specialty food stores.
Recipe source BHG.com
More Salad Recipes
Lebanese fruit salad
Moroccan chicken and potato salad
Couscous and cranberry salad
Spicy Chicken Shawarma Salad Recipe
The world's Most Expensive Salad
Save and share Middle Eastern Salad Plate Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.