Monday, November 22, 2010
What is cellulite?
Cellulite is the dimpling appearance of the skin which occurs mainly around the buttocks and thighs. These are also areas where women tend to store fat. Cellulite is not necessarily linked to how overweight a person is as it occurs in all women of all ages, race, weight and size. The main identifier of cellulite is the orange peel effect - the fat gets trapped under your skin and take’s away its smoothness, replacing it with dimpled skin similar to the peel of an orange. This is not a medical problem but more of a cosmetic one.
Good to know:
Did you know that cellulite affects 85 – 98% of women?!
Where does cellulite come from?
* Too many toxins in the body, for example from unhealthy eating habits and smoking
* Lack of muscle tone in that area due to a sedentary lifestyle
* Poor blood circulation to that area especially if you are physically inactive and overweight.
How can cellulite be reduced?
A priority in the beauty industry, they have tried to come up with many solutions to get rid of cellulite. Some of them include therapies that increase blood circulation to the area, i.e. when there is increased blood circulation it becomes easier to remove the trapped fats, toxins and water in that area. The normal treatments offered are massages and anti-cellulite creams.
BUT there is no miracle product!
All these beauty remedies will only make your skin look smoother but they do not guarantee a cure. And, they will not work unless you follow a healthy diet and perform regular routine of exercises that increases blood circulation, tones and tightens muscles, which in turn will decrease the appearance of cellulite.
The best solution: Prevention!
As they say “prevention is better than cure”, and to avoid cellulite you need to follow a healthy diet. Go for whole, unprocessed foods. Try to have fruits and vegetables with every meal. They are filled with vitamins and fibre that help eliminate toxins before they get stored in your body. Drink plenty of water which is essential to keep your body hydrated and also flushed from harmful substances.
Tips to being cellulite free!
* Have a fresh fruit daily as part of your breakfast, like an apple or an orange
* Have a large fresh salad with your lunch
* Snack on dried fruits when you feel like having a quick snack
* Have a side dish of raw, steamed, boiled or baked vegetables at dinner
* Avoid deep fried foods and foods high in sugar
* Avoid eating foods in large quantities, especially if you are not active for a few hours after that. The excess food will be stored as fat. And, in women it usually goes to the hips and thigh region
* Exercise everyday to keep your muscles toned. The more muscle you build in your body, the easier it will be to burn off fats
* Drink plenty of water. Have a glass every hour, especially as the days get hotter.
Save and share Shedding light on Cellulite
Want to share this article with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.