|Photo: Moghrabieh recipe|
1 kg moghrabieh, fresh, frozen or dried
4 skinless chicken thighs
2 skinless chicken breasts
2 cups canned chickpeas
500 g small onions, peeled
7 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon caraway
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon cumin
3 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons salt
- In a deep pan, fry the chicken thighs and breasts with 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil for 2 min. Add 1 ½ liters water, one whole onion, the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, caraway, cinnamon powder, cumin, some pepper and salt.
- Cover and cook until chicken is well done. Remove chicken pieces and set aside. Strain the chicken broth and reserve.
- In a deep pot, fry the moghrabieh with 3 tablespoons of olive oil until golden. Sprinkle with some caraway, cinnamon and salt.
- Boil 1 liter of water then add it to the moghrabieh and let it cook for 10 min only. Remove from heat, drain the half-cooked mohgrabieh from its water and set it aside.
- Fry the whole onions in a cooking pot with the 4 tablespoons of oil until they turn golden.
- Add in the moghrabieh, chickpeas and enough chicken broth to cover the ingredients. Place pot on high heat and let it simmer with the lid on until most of the broth has been absorbed by the moghrabieh. Make sure not to totally dry the moghrabieh. Remove from heat and add more seasoning if needed.
- To serve, place the moghrabieh in a serving dish and arrange the chicken pieces on top. Pour the rest of the chicken broth in a bowl and add to your dish according to taste.
Save and share moghrabieh recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.