Easy & delicious recipe for Lebanese lentil soup. Lean how to make best Lebanese recipes. This vegetarian recipe contains lentils water salt, extra-virgin olive oil, red onions finely chopped, ground black pepper, uncooked orzo acini pepe pasta, Fresh lemon juice, Chopped cilantro or parsley, and Lemon wedges.
- 2 cups lentils
- 12 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup uncooked orzo or acini pepe pasta
- 3 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Combine lentils, water and salt in a 5 to 6 quart pot. Bring to a boil and skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Then lower heat, cover and simmer gently about 20 minutes while you cook the onions.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until they turn a very dark brown color, about 20 minutes. Stir constantly during last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking to prevent burning. (It may be necessary to reduce heat to medium.)
- When onions are well browned, add 1 cup simmering lentil water to the pan with the onions. Stand back; the water will sizzle and steam. Continue cooking, stirring every now and then, until the water has almost totally evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Scrape onion mixture into the pot with the lentils. Stir in the pepper. Cover and simmer 10 more minutes. Add pasta, cover and simmer until just tender and the lentils are completely cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove soup from heat, cool and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, then reheat before serving. (It needs to stand in order to thicken. The soup can be made a day or two ahead, refrigerated and reheated.)
- To serve, reheat soup and ladle into bowls. Stir 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice into each bowl and finish each with a sprinkle of cilantro or parsley. (Or stir all of lemon juice and herbs into pot of soup.) Serve lemon wedges alongside.
Save and share this recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.