This combination of dusky dates and tinted marzipan is a North African tradition.
Yield 24 dates (serving size: 1 stuffed date)
- 24 Medjool dates (about 1 pound)
- 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 2/3 cup marzipan (almond paste)
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- Cut a lengthwise slit down the center, but not through, each date; remove seeds.
- Sprinkle food coloring over marzipan, if desired; gently knead 4 to 5 times or until color is incorporated into marzipan. Divide marzipan mixture evenly among dates; stuff into slits. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.