Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hours, 45 minutes
Falafel Balls Ingredients:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Oil for frying
- Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.
- Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.
- Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.
- Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.
- Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
- Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes).
- Serve hot.
Falafel can be served as an appetizer with hummus and tahini, or as a main course. Stuff pita bread with falafel, lettuce, tomatoes, falafel sauce, salt and pepper. As an alternative, falafel can be formed into patties and served like a burger.
More about Falafel and Falafel Recipes
Falafel Recipe from Scratch
Falafel and Falafel Mix
How to Make Perfect Shape of Falafel?
Falafel Nutrition facts